Mountain Studies Institute
DEVELOPMENT AND ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Development and Engagement Coordinator
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
LOCATION: The position will be based in MSI’s program office in Durango or Silverton, Colorado,
with travel within the 14-county San Juan Mountain region.
APPLICATION: Electronic submittal only. Include: cover letter, resume, salary history of last three
positions, and three references to Marcie Bidwell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 970-
387-5161; also see www.mountainstudies.org/careers page for more details.
Application due 31 December 2016
Mountain Studies Institute (MSI) is looking for a passionate, multi-talented professional to strategically develop and fund outreach, events, and communication to promote MSI and our mission. The Development and Engagement Coordinator will help MSI raise funds, build awareness of mountain issues, innovate new ways to engage people, and empower communities to make a difference through citizen science and stewardship projects.
The key role of the Development and Engagement Coordinator is to pursue fundraising and resources, engage diverse audiences through direct outreach to help grow the Institute’s impact and support, to communicate MSI’s advances in mountain science, and coordinate collaborative events. S/he will develop strategic communication and social media to engage the public and partners, organize events, and lead hands-on activities to deliver MSI’s Mountain Learning and Science into Action Programs. S/he will be responsible for creating outreach materials, managing social media and website campaigns, coordinating outreach events, and recruiting and training of volunteers. The Development and Engagement Coordinator will lead efforts to develop, coordinate, fund, and implement these programs in partnership with other MSI staff. Duties to achieve these goals include:
• Develop and execute a communication and funding plan to promote MSI’s initiatives to our stakeholders and increase public awareness of MSI’s programs and research. Materials will include publications, newsletters, articles, and social campaigns to advance MSI’s mission and impact in the San Juan Mountain Region
• Engage MSI’s partners and stakeholders through events and media to advance mountain science and address relevant issues, events, demonstration projects, conferences, and citizen science activities
• Organize and lead experiential education activities for college and youth incorporating mountain science , community development, and strategic action as a tool for problem solving
• Support MSI Executive Director, staff and Board of Directors in cultivating volunteers, donors, and supporters
The successful candidate will be a dynamic person, possess integrity, flexibility, and be a creative team player. S/he will be driven by a passion for mountains, mountain communities, and action-oriented change. S/he will desire to work with a diverse group of people and ages in isolated small mountain communities. S/he will thrive in situations here multiple and diverse demands are involved, adjust to changes in a growing organization, and be comfortable with an evolving list of job duties in many facets of non-profit function. Occasional evenings and weekends are required. Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-directed, and resourceful with ability to take initiative and follow-through on independent projects. Design and graphic abilities and artistic talents are a plus.
• Education: Master (preferred) or Bachelor degree in education, communication, sciences or related field.
• Professional experience: 5-10 years in similar or related field directly relevant to MSI’s initiatives.
• Excellent communication skills to reach diverse audiences including public speaking, verbal, and written
skills; including the ability to lead groups through events, education, and service-based initiatives.
• Experience utilizing outreach and marketing tools, such as website design.
• Event organizing or teaching experience in the remote mountain settings.
• Keen interest in uniting mountain communities to sustain our mountain environments by engaging
multiple stakeholders along a range of interests, ages, and level of scientific understanding.
• Demonstrated ability producing winning development campaigns or proposals, and managing grants,
deliverables, and budgets.
• Ability to craft strategic engagement campaigns to cultivate and develop effective relationships inside and
• Rock solid editing and writing skills.
• Professional experience: 3-5 years in a non-profit organization, inquiry-based programming or field station
• Ability to distill and communicate clear priorities.
• Experience relating science and technical information to a broad spectrum of backgrounds
• Proven experience or demonstrated desire to motivate others, inspire action, and generate support
• Comfortable working under pressure and with limited resources.
• All of the above, plus…
• Demonstrated experience speaking and teaching in Spanish as a second language
• Demonstrated success as an inspirational leader who has successfully motivated staff, donors and
volunteers to achieve and sustain excellence
• Experience with Squarespace web platform and Contact Relationship Management software (NeonCRM)
Salary is commensurate with experience and education with opportunities for growth and bonuses based upon successful program development and demonstrated ability to secure funding. MSI offers competitive
compensation. This position may be part-time or full time with benefits including vacation and health insurance package.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MSI believes in a collaborative and supportive work environment that
encourages and inspires professional growth. MSI is a growing research and education center. We are looking for candidates with the ambition and passion for mountain research to help grow the Institute, explore new ways to communicate and share information, and apply our research for the betterment of the region and the world.